WHAT ARE CAMBRIDGE INTERNATIONAL EXAMINATIONS
- Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) is the world’s largest provider of international education programmes and qualifications for school students.
- Hundreds of thousands of learners worldwide gain places at leading universities every year with Cambridge International AS and A Levels. The syllabus is designed to develop a deep understanding of subjects and independent thinking skills, which is what the Montessori method instills at an early age.
- The Cambridge International Examinations prepares school students for life, helping them develop an informed curiosity and a lasting passion for learning. We are part of Cambridge Assessment, a department of the University of Cambridge.
- The Newberry House Cambridge Programme allows students who have completed their grade 10 exams in IGCSE to complete their A levels through a two year programme consisting of AS level in the first year and A level in the second year, with examinations written in November of each year.
- Cambridge A levels are internationally recognized and allow a successful student to be able to apply to more than 450 US universities who accept Cambridge International AS and A Levels.These universities include the well-known and ‘Ivy League’ institutions such as Brown University, Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Princeton University, Stanford University and Yale University.
- For students wishing to study in South Africa, a Cambridge standard matriculation allows the student to be far more university-ready, which is of enormous benefit to their tertiary education.
- Cambridge’s mission is to provide educational benefit through provision of international programmes and qualifications for school education and to be the world leader in this field. Together with its schools partners like Newberry House, Cambridge helps to develop learners who are confident, responsible, reflective, innovative and engaged – equipped for success in the modern world.
More information regarding Cambridge International Examinations can be found at www.cie.org.uk
NEWBERRY HOUSE IGCSE SUBJECTS OFFERED
Personal choice is critical and whilst we may suggest subject choices based on the child’s interests and skills, the decisions must come from the student themselves.
At Newberry House we currently offer the following choice of Cambridge subjects which only apply when the child starts on the IGCSE curriculum in Grade 10.
Subject choices should be made in consultation with parents and school teachers and finalised by 31 October:
- English (compulsory)
- Mathematics (compulsory)
- Afrikaans (compulsory)
- Physical Sciences
- Business Studies
- Art & Design
These and any other subjects not listed to be discussed on an individual basis.
Two year course
Candidates must have a minimum of six IGCSE credits from grade 10 or 11. Subjects being considered for A level must have ‘A’ or ‘B’ symbols in their IGCSE or equivalent examinations. A minimum of a ‘C’ is required in all other subjects written.
CAMBRIDGE EXAMINATIONS CENTER
Newberry House is an authorized and registered Cambridge Examinations Center. Students not studying at Newberry House or who are being home schooled, are able to write their Cambridge Exams at Newberry House. Fees upon application.
UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
Students who are planning to attend an university in South Africa will be guided and advised on subject combinations to meet all the requirements..
It is the student’s responsibility to confirm eligibility for South African university exemption with Universities South Africa http://www.universitiessa.ac.za